How to Claim Using Commercial Insurance

About Me

How to Claim Using Commercial Insurance

Hi, there! This is my new blog which details the process of claiming on your commercial insurance policy. My name is Lisa and last year my business was put out of action by a severe tropical storm. My office was flooded and a lot of electrical equipment was damaged and important paperwork was lost. I was in a real panic until my husband reminded me that we had a commercial insurance policy. I didn't have a clue how to claim so I contacted my friend who works in the industry. He was really helpful and explained the entire process to me.


Latest Posts

What to Do After Getting a Work-Related Injury
17 April 2017

If you are injured at work, it is important that y


What to Do After Getting a Work-Related Injury

If you are injured at work, it is important that you act quickly and follow proper protocol. Your company's human resources department likely has rules for what to do when you have a work-related injury, but here are some steps to remember to take.

Inform Your Employer First

Unless you need emergency treatment, in which case you should do that first, the initial step is usually to let your employer know. Whether it was a slip and fall, or you are showing signs of a repetitive motion injury, your employer needs to know what the injury is and how it began. Give them as many details as you can, including steps you have taken to try to improve the problem, such as adjusting your desk and chair if you have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Get Medical Treatment

Make sure you also see a doctor as soon as you can to help treat your injury. You will eventually need to see a doctor approved by workers' compensation, but you shouldn't delay on treating the injury if you don't have that information yet. Just save all of your medical records so that you can be reimbursed for payments, including examinations, treatments, medications, and tests. This documentation will come in handy if you need to state your case if for some reason you are denied benefits.

Fill Out the Proper Forms

When you get an injury at work, you will typically need to fill out paperwork with your boss or the human resources department. These forms detail the injury, including what happened before and during the accident. The forms also allow you to get medical coverage and benefits from your company's workers' compensation policy, so it is important to get them done quickly. There is only a short period of time where you can get benefits, so don't delay on filling out the paperwork.

Follow the Right Protocol

After filling out these forms, the company will ask you to go to certain doctors for tests and treatments regarding your injuries. These are approved workers' compensation physicians that specialize in work-related injuries or illnesses. Even if it is a mental illness you believe to be tied to your occupation, you still need to start with the workers' comp doctor you were told to see. They report directly to the insurance company and your employer, so there isn't as much you need to do on your part.

For more information, contact a business such as Westralian Insurance.